Thursday, March 10, 2011

Freak Factor

You can read the article I talk about here

I want to be witty and just put: "I agree with this guy's tip 9. One part of this step says 'Instead of procrastinating from activities that you don't like, just stop doing them altogether' And I agree full-heartedly. I feel like sleep is more relavent to my interests. Good night (: "

But, I'm ironically going to go against this article and continue this blog post because I want to conform and get a good grade! But seriously, I agree with this point to a certain extent, but he should probably specify the kind of activities that are acceptable to completely give up. For example, I would not be a happy camper if my roommate didn't like to take showers, and decided to "engage in permanent procrastination" from taking a shower. This obviously wouldn't be beneficial to her life either because people obviously wouldn't treat her very kindly. There are certainly obligatory things you need to do in our society (such as this homework), in order to succeed, but other than that, I suppose this point makes sense.

I would be wrong to not talk about the other points of tip 9. The other points basically map out ways to use your weakness/strength characteristics to your advantage. For the most part, I do agree with this. It basically is a pitch for the fact that you're simply going to do your best if you find your niche, and find others to occupy their correct niches in the positions around you.

This essentially sums up the whole article. Everyone's a freak. Deal with it.

Animated gifs don't work on Blogger? That's thoroughly disappointing. 


No, but really, the article asserts that a freak is someone who is unique because of a natural positive obsession. It says that we should embrace our flaws because our flaws come with a strength. You can't have one without the other. This is another point that I'm inclined to agree with. He cites creative as being a strength to the weakness of unorganized, and dedicated as a strength that goes with stubbornness. There are others on the chart there, that I've found to be pretty reflective of the traits of people I know (or even myself). So logically, in attempting to fix one of these flaws, you would also be nullifying one of the corresponding strengths. This makes sense, because if you take a "boring" person, chances are they are "boring" because they aren't very spontaneous, instead they're responsible. So, if you try to make this "boring" person more "fun" by making them forego a homework assignment to go to a party or something, this makes them less responsible.  This article urges you to play to your strengths in order to succeed. As with most things of this nature, although these traits in the chart match up fairly well with each other, there will always be people who are exceptions.

I like point number 8, where it talks about "The Power of Uniqueness". I feel like he could have used a better example than the leaning tower of Pisa, like talk about an actual person, but it still drives home the point. If everyone was the same, there would never be any progress. We would all think the same thoughts, and basically be the same person. Without any differences, the evolutionary process can't even take place, and this is arguably the starting point of progress. The people who have really made a difference in our world (for better or worse...) and who appear in our history text books are those people who are unique enough to do something impactful.

So, even if I don't agree with little parts here or there of this article, I agree with the overall message. (even if I don't want to in a sense, because like most other people, I wish I could get rid of my weaknesses) So, you should check it out, it's pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment